The Department of Classics welcomes applications to our M.A. program. Please contact Professor Scioli (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible if you are interested. Funding is available via Graduate Teaching Assistant appointments.
The Master's degree program offers advanced study and includes a research component. Students wishing to prepare for Ph.D.-level studies should consult carefully with the graduate advisor.
In addition to the general admission requirements from the KU Office of Graduate Studies, the beginning graduate student in Classics should have 15 junior/senior hours of Latin and/or Greek. Junior/senior hours are defined as third semester of study and above for Greek, fourth semester and above for Latin. Candidates slightly deficient in the stated requirements may be admitted provisionally. Incoming students are also encouraged to complete course work in the history, archaeology, and philosophy of ancient Greece and Rome before entering the program.
Applications received by January 5 (for fall enrollment) or by October 1 (for spring enrollment) will receive fullest consideration. See the Master's program page for details regarding Graduate Teaching Assistantships and other available funding.
Fall - July 1
Spring - December 1
- A current resume or C.V. (suggested one page in length)
- Writing Sample (25 page maximum)
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of reference on letterhead
- Official GRE scores (strongly recommended)
- Scanned official transcripts with application. Official, degree-conferred transcripts sent directly to KU from the conferring institution will be required upon admission. Please visit the Graduate Studies transcript page for more information.
- English Language Proficiency exam scores required if student's native language is not English
To apply to the M.A. program in Classics, click the button below.